Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thirty posts: D3

A television show that has helped me get through my loss or that moves me, is the TLC show Hoarders. http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/hoarding-buried-alive-compulsive-shopping.html

The reason I say this is because I watch all the same t.v. that I did before Audrey died. But during my 11 day stay in the hospital I watched marathons of that show. It broke my heart just as much as it grossed me out to see all that these hoarders were holding onto emotionally as well as physically. I hate to admit that it also made me feel a little better to be watching something that dealt with reality- reality that we humans are fragile and broken and imperfect. I felt so imperfect sitting there in that hospital room and by no means did I think I was better than the hoarders just suffering in a different way. I didn't want to escape my reality with comedy, I was sure of that and I pretty well knew that show was safe- in that I wouldn't see some happy family with a new baby. It was also shocking enough that it really did take me away from my life for a while, holding my attention, which even now is hard to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment